Three from three for HMAS Warramunga
6 June 2018
HMAS Warramunga, currently deployed to the Middle East under Operation Manitou, has seized three separate hauls of illicit narcotics over three days, with a total value of approximately AUD$294.3 million*.
The boarding operations were conducted in international waters of the Arabian Sea from 3-5 June 2018.
The first seizure uncovered 3.3 tonnes of hashish from a suspect vessel. Warramunga’s Seahawk Romeo crew identified the second and third suspicious vessels carrying 2.6 tonnes and 40 kilograms of hashish.
Commanding Officer HMAS Warramunga, Commander Dugald Clelland, Royal Australian Navy, said the ship’s company had shown determination and professionalism during the current patrol.
“The crew of HMAS Warramunga has been on deployment in the Middle East for more than six months, but everyone onboard remains focused on the mission at hand,” Commander Clelland said.
“Three successful seizures for Warramunga and taking over AUD$2 billion out of the hands of terrorist networks lifts the morale of the crew, who have all worked exceptionally well together throughout the deployment.”
Warramunga has now intercepted, seized and disposed of approximately 31.8 tonnes of hashish and approximately two tonnes of heroin, valued at around AUD$2.17 billion* since starting operations in the Middle East in November 2017.
Operation Manitou is the Australian Government's contribution to support international efforts to promote maritime security, stability and prosperity in the Middle East Region.
Warramunga is part of the Combined Maritime Forces operating under the United Kingdom-led Combined Task Force 150 (CTF 150).
- Summary of vessels interdicted with drugs by Warramunga:
- 27—29 December 2017: 8 tonnes hashish, 69kg heroin, (three vessels interdicted over this period)
- 3 January 2018: hashish, 3.5 tonnes
- 7 January 2018: heroin, 111kg
- 24 January 2018: heroin, 915kg
- 1 February 2018: heroin, 414kg
- 3 March 2018: hashish, 4 tonnes
- 4 March 2018: hashish, 4 tonnes
- 6 March 2018: heroin, 132kg
- 10 May 2018: heroin, 295kg
- 21 May 2018: hashish, 3 tonnes
- 22 May 2018: hashish, 3.2 tonnes
- 3 June 2018: hashish, 3.3 tonnes
- 4 June 2018: hashish, 2.6 tonnes
- 5 June 2018: hashish, 40kg
Images are available at: https://images.defence.gov.au/S20181179
Video is available at: https://tinyurl.com/y77ru75w
*Note: This calculation is based on the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission Illicit Drug Data Report 2015–16 figures for Cannabis Resin (Hashish) @ AUD$50,000 per kilo (p. 215) and Heroin @ AUD$300,000 per kilo (p. 216).