Illegal fishing targeted in joint Australian-Indonesian operation
27 April 2011
Illegal fishing was the focus of a joint Australian Defence Force and Indonesian Armed Forces operation that concluded in Ambon today.
The second coordinated Maritime Security Patrol, AUSINDO CORPAT 2011, began in Darwin on April 15 and was held in the waters between Australia and Indonesia over the past fortnight, targeting the exploitation of natural resources, specifically illegal fishing.
Concluding on 27 April 2011, the operation included aircraft, ships and headquarters staff from both nations in two synchronised task groups. The ADF contributed HMA Ship Araratand an AP-3C Orion aircraft, while the Indonesian Armed Forces provided naval vessels Kri Sultan Nuku and Sura and an NC-212 aircraft.
The combined operation was conducted to improve coordinated maritime security between the ADF and Indonesian Armed Forces along the Australian and Indonesian shared maritime boundaries, from north of the Tiwi Islands to targeted areas near Indonesia.
Commander of the ADF Task Group Air Commodore Ken Watson said the coordinated patrols gave personnel from both nations the ability to share information and enhance each country’s ability to detect illegal fishing.
“It has been a valuable experience over the past fortnight, combining the skills of our personnel at sea, on land and in the air together to address illegal activity along our exclusive economic zone boundaries,” Air Commodore Watson said.
“Working in this strong cooperative manner helps build our capabilities to deter exploitation of natural resources in our maritime zones. Both our nations are committed to a secure regional environment and we intend to plan for similar activities in the future to build on the success of these past two coordinated patrols.”
The Indonesian Eastern Fleet Sea Combat Commander Commodore Sulaeman Banjar Nahor said the patrol honed information sharing and interoperability between the two forces through a number of evolutions designed to build confidence.
“Our Defence Forces have once again made great progress in improving our maritime security procedures through developing our communications and information-sharing techniques,” Commodore Sulaeman Banjar Nahor said.
“It has been a very successful activity and has capitalised on the success of last year’s inaugural patrol.
“We look forward to undertaking this coordinated approach again to further strengthen the relationship between our nations.”
Media Note: Imagery is available at: http://images.defence.gov.au/fotoweb/Grid.fwx?archiveId=5003&search=20112474