Defence announces the death of Corporal Scott James Smith
23 October 2012
It is with deep regret that the Australian Defence Force announces the death of Corporal Scott James Smith on operations in Afghanistan on 21 October 2012.
Corporal Smith was a member of the Special Operations Task Group and was from the Special Operations Engineer Regiment based at Holsworthy Barracks in Sydney, New South Wales.
Corporal Smith is survived by his partner Liv, his parents Katrina Paterson and Murray Smith and sister Roxanne.
Scott Smith was born in the Barossa Valley South Australia in 1988. He joined the Army in February 2006 and on completion of his initial employment training, was posted to the 1st Combat Engineer Regiment, Darwin. In 2008, Corporal Smith was posted to the then Incident Response Regiment as a search operator.
Corporal Smith was an exceptional soldier who possessed all the qualities and charisma of a great junior leader. He is described by his unit as a genuine, honest and dedicated member who was probably one of the best Junior Non-Commissioned Officers that the unit has seen. His loss will be deeply felt.
Corporal Smith has been awarded the following honours and awards:
- Australian Active Service Medal with clasp International Coalition Against Terrorism,
- Afghan Campaign Medal,
- Australian Service Medal with Clasp Solomons 2,
- Australian Service Medal with Clasp – Counter Terrorism / Special Recovery,
- Australian Defence Medal,
- NATO International Stabilisation Assistance Force Medal with Multi-Tour Indicator 2,
- Army Soldiers Medallion,
- Army Combat Badge,
- Returned from Active Service Badge.
During Corporal Smith’s service in the Australian Army he deployed on the following operations:
- Operation ANODE (Solomon Islands) – November 2006 – December 2006,
- Operation SLIPPER (Afghanistan) – February 2010 – July 2010,
- Operation NORWICH (Australia) – November 2011,
- Operation SLIPPER (Afghanistan) – July 2012 – October 2012.
Imagery will be available at: http://images.defence.gov.au/12131495
Defence Media Operations (02) 6127 1999